Sunday, June 21, 2009

Happy Father's Day, Dad

My Dad died while I was at college. A long time ago. I’ve lived well over twice as many years without him as I had with him in my daily life. I was so young for most of our time together. Memory dims. Yet, if I dwell in the memory for a while, I can still recall, with vivid detail, what it felt like when I was a little girl, in petty coats and Mary Janes, to see him come through the door at the end of a work day. I can feel the excitement and bursting love upon seeing him again, feel the anticipation of arms out stretched to receive in warm embrace. My heart recalls its fondest hope. Happy Father’s Day.

1 comment:

anon said...

Dottie,
I remember distinctly when your Father died. It saddened me greatly even though I had never met him. It made me realize what life would be like without my Father, and made me closer to him.
We lost my dad to Alzheimers almost 3 years ago although we lost him earlier as his body lived longer than his brain.

Your parents did a great job!

By the way, one of the first stories I told my now Father-in-law (He lived in Naperville for years) was the story of your "honorary Chicago winter's drive award" he loved it.
Hugs,
Edith