Thursday, July 1, 2010

Psalm 17:6-9

6 I call upon you, for you will answer me, O God;
incline your ear to me, hear my words.

7 Wondrously show your steadfast love,
O savior of those who seek refuge
from their adversaries at your right hand.

8 Guard me as the apple of the eye;
hide me in the shadow of your wings,

9 from the wicked who despoil me,
my deadly enemies who surround me.



“Prayer at the First Continental Congress,” 1774, Philadelphia, PA
“The Liberty Window,” Christ Church, Philadelphia, PA


“…What shall we say? Human nature is intolerant whenever it has power. Trust power then without a counterpoise to no church, to no sect, to no Party. Amen and Amen.”
John Adams, June 5, 1812.

As we bring our hearts in prayer looking forward to the joyful celebrations of the Fourth, to family and friends, fireworks and frankfurters on the grill, let them spend some few quiet moments in recall of the prayerful hearts of uncounted men and women through the years who have sought diligently the inclination of our Sovereign’s ear in times of adversity and darkness, in times when wickedness and enemies surround. Let them give thanks for these and recall gratefully as well, the struggles of their own where they have found safe refuge and kind easement when that which is worst among our natures seems too willingly to prevail. Let them rest gratefully in the only Power in which any human heart can fully rest; and trust fully in the only Heart of Power by which to guide the use of any human-earthly powers entrusted to their care. Amen.


Stay safe and be happy on the 4th….



No comments: