Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Image: “Jew at Prayer”, Marc Chagall

The Psalmist prays:

“My sins, O God, are not hidden from you; you now how foolish I have been. Do not let me bring shame on those who trust you Sovereign Lord Almighty! Do not let me disgrace to those who worship you.”
(69: 5-6)

“The function of prayer is not to influence God,
but rather to change the nature of the one who prays."
Sørren Kierkegaard

My we bring our hearts in prayer this week asking to open them to the depth and truth of our being, to those things about ourselves which are held tenderly and in mercy by our God, but which remain in the dark hiddenness of our own frailty and fear. May we seek at prayer the courage and strength of the incomprehensible depth of God’s tenderness and mercy for our lives that our living may be in tenderness and mercy for all who would call upon our care. Amen.




No comments: